Monday 15 January 2007

Imagine

All of us are brilliant at imagining things, physics formulae, EVS answers, and the often comical situation, things like these are borne from figments of our imagination generally unknown to us, appearing only by request from a bored or desperate mind.

Just the other day I was playin FIFA world cup 06. A rather strange option allowed me to pit the English National team against another instance of itself. As the game began, I, for no apparent reason came into this particular frame of thought. My English team; wearing red was playing against freakish genetic clones of my players in a bid to save humanity from these clones. So i put the speakers on mute, and had a silent, running commentry delivered by my mind. In the end, without too much resistance from the amateur level of A.I, I won the game. I was overcome with satisfaction that I had been able to save England from a terrible fate. Strangely enough, I was quite proud of my achievement. Call me childish or immature, but me thinks that there is more to this.

Using purely my imagination, and of course my psp, I was actually able to satisfy myself, achieving a rather non-sensical and fantastical goal. And this was no first to me, or to anyone else. I'm sure that everyone would have gone through or still is in the "toy" phase. I myself had a mini-toy battallion. The little army men had surfboard-like bases. I'd fill up a little basin with water, grab my men and let the imagination go to work. I fought many wars throughout the course of the day, my men suffered no casualties, and it was fun! I recently found one of these army men, it was just another plastic figure, the endless hours of enjoyment forgotten, until I dreamed up this post.

So right now I'm wondering...What Happened? Why don't or why can't we look at things or imagine them to be any different from the way they are, any more? Just for the heck of it, I would like to pen blame onto the Indian Education system. Expelled frustrations aside, I'm also considering that it is maturity and a better understanding of reality and all that is concerned with the environment that changes our frame of thought. Quite immediately, another question comes up, if we are so knowledged about the physical intricacies of the world and evolution and what not, why would we even believe in creation; i.e.: Hop, skip, jump...here’s a human. Forgive the questioning of God's power, but this is something that really intrigued me. I just didn't get why our fantasies nowadays are so limited to materialistic items, lust, and as men...women.

Caught up in this busy world and the quest for self-alleviation makes us forget quite easily about our childhood, it's experiences and the ways in which we handled situations. It is rather hard to get in touch with this self, it lies cloaked in myriad shrouds of experiences, we seldom manage to connect with this ability to fantasize to such an extent, that fantasy nears reality.

Call me clichéd with my posts but I will once again relate to music, and quite obviously the song "Imagine", by John Lennon. This man somehow managed to imagine a fantastic world with only good to offer for it's inhabitants. In a time after many disastrous wars, strife and countless other obstacles, he imagined this perfect world and in this song provoked others to imagine with him.

So go ahead and look at something, even a clock, let your mind go for a little while and imagine.

2 comments:

wii said...

Thing is Jeetu, many of us do imagine - only we call it fantasies. ;)

The innocence of childhood thought is blemished by exposure to a myriad of 'cultures'. I'm certain that most people's deepest fantasies would unsettle and scare you. This leads me to point out how desire (table for three?) (call it lust, desperation, wishful thinking, loneliness) just rarely allows you that space for uncorrupted thought.

We all do sometimes enjoy letting go - it feels bloody fantastic later. Although I particularly dislike people who act childish for the cuteness of it.

This is something I found long ago:

"What about my theory? Consider this: the moon is moving away from the Earth every year.. think of it, how close was the moon to the earth all those millions of years ago? All the taller dinosaurs would have kept hitting their head on the moon and would eventually just collapse and fall on the smaller dinosaurs."

- http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20852682-663,00.html

Cheers.

Jeetu said...

Thanks for the comment! So THATS what happened to the dinosaurs:P.