Thursday 28 December 2006

An evening through a verbal video camera

Yesterday, my friend called me out for a brief foray outside the confines of my house. He wished to purchase a Christmas present for another comrade, and said he could use the company and some assistance. Never being a man to give up a chance to leave home, I obliged.

Destination 1 -
Karama Shopping complex

My friend had in mind this little glass memento, we spent about half an hour just trying to find an appropriate shop. Rather surprised and embarrassed to realise that we couldn't find a piece at A.C. Milan, we left the area.


Destination 2 - Bur Juman Centre



Burjuman seemed like a more appropriate place to continue our quest for the elusive crystal ball. A certain Ms. Distraction seemed to be in the vicinity as she veered us off our path and down the stairs of the Zara showroom. And there, like two possessed women(sexist remark not intended), we tried on a heap of clothes. Of course with the scarcity of greens in the money desert, we made no purchase.

Destination 3 - Centrepoint; 20 meters away


At centrepoint, our quest for the grail came to a close. Lifestyle bore the fruit of our long search, it came in the form of a little crystal bowl, that looked cracked yet wasn't. 39 Dirhams later, we were out of the store present in hand.



But in a sheer crafty moment of thought, I decided that I wouldn't lend my 'services' regardless of how minimal for free. My fee; would have to be in the form of a Subway sandwich. Another thirty minutes passed, my friends wallet; a lot lighter, mine...I never brought it along, remained at home.

Destination 5 - Home, where else?

Stomach and my friend satisfied we left for home. The journey was short and 15 minutes was all it took to make it back home. Prior to parting, I mentioned that a greeting to my friend's comrade should be passed to him on my behalf. Innocently, and rather instinctively, we both gazed at the bag, which we presumed was nestled in my friend's right hand. As luck would have it, it wasn't. Screaming was in order, and so we did. 15 minutes cut short to 10 was all the time it took to walk back to the mall in search of the disappearing present. By now it would be quite obvious to one that the present would have displaced itself further away from where we might have left it, and surely it did. The present was lost.

To the apparently unfortunate matter at hand, my friend remarked "Aaah, what the heck, it was my parent's money." Not wishing to comment more on his lacked of concern, I smiled and we walked back home. 3 hours of lost studies after I had set out, I got back to the most pleasant threatening stare my Mom had given me in quite a while, and I settled myself down before my table, and switched the camera off.






No comments: