Thursday 21 December 2006

What grinds your gears?

A little while ago, I was watching the Family Guy movie, and Peter Griffin gets a chance to rant about the things that really ground his gears. Being Peter Griffin, he go ticked of at the most petty of all matters. Taking on a cue from him, I'm gonna rant a bit.


Flourish and T.V graphics...."What really grinds my gears":

1.)Math: By definition, it's the study of numbers, geometry and other abstracts. On the contrary, I can't help but question it's necessity; I just don't like it(precisely why I don't often do well in it). But I think it isn't just me, I've come across quite a few people with an aversion to the subject. In our school Math is compulsory, and for some of us who are going into fields that don't require the subject, I don't see the point.



2.)Cockroaches: They're by far the sickest creatures that I've ever seen! And in the summer, the little buggers thrive around our buildings. One night, I was innnocently sitting on the computer, and found one climbing up my leg. Being the scaredy-cat that I am, jumped up and shrieked, and that got me into a bit of trouble with my parents for even being awake at that hour.


3.)Rumours: A hell of a lot of us have been at the brunt of rumours before. Initially it starts with a slip of the tongue on your behalf, and having a friend awaiting to catch on to these opportunities doesn't help. And then this becomes a trivial laughing matter which eventually gets forgotten. But sometimes, they get blown up, beyond all applicable proportions, and BOOM, social homicide has been committed against you.


4.)Superstitions: My mom tells me that it is most inappropriate to cut my nails on a Tuesday evening, and that I shouldn't wear black on occasions. Without trying to be rude and arrogant, I just ask her why, only to get no response. Some superstitions are so preposterous that it amazes me how people still believe in them; like the one about the black cat crossing your path, what did the poor little cat do. Quite obviously it's going to be quite befuddled on seeing a large human being jumping around to get out of its path, and might react strangely.


5.)Advertisements: So you're watching your favourite serial, Jermaine is finally going to find out who killed his wife after a long series of investigations, and you want to know too, oh no...not if the T.V channel can help it. At such a strategic moment they move into the commercials. Sure it's essential for major enterprises to advertise themselves to gain business, but not in the middle of a program. On some channels these advertisement chains run on for 15 minutes! And lets say Dexter's lab is scheduled from 4:00 to 4:30, you only get 15 minutes of the program you want to watch. I'd rather have them air the ad's after programs(they do it anyways), besides how many times can you see the ad for Western Union before getting utterly bored and irritated?


And thats what really grinds my gears...Jeetu out.

2 comments:

anish said...

I love your writing-style Jeetu! Really enjoyed the post!

Dint know u had a blog! Going a little public wont kill.:P

I am gonna give you a link on my blog! :P
And I am gonna remove those blogs that aint no good! :@...=P

Govind said...

lol ... that was fun reading!!

Maths? Aversion? :S:S ..... :P:P

Superstitions ... ummm, I think the not-cutting-nails-on-tuesdays is because, traditionally, a particular time/day was kept each week for cutting nails. Kind of like a timetable, which reminds you to cut your nails ... now people have entirely forgotten the meaning, cause otherwise, cutting on Tuesday would mean chopping off very small nails nad potentially harming your skin!! .... :S:S